Mr. Lavender knows how to make a stiff drink – the frozen banana kind happens to be just one of his many specialties. But since it is borderline summer, I figure the hot days of May are perfect for daydreaming of tropical vacations and fruity island concoctions. So if you are stuck somewhere continental like me, here’s how you can celebrate the island life without leaving your own backyard…
For Mr. Lavender’s signature frozen banana daiquiri recipe, blend up a frozen banana or two, a jigger of light rum, a good squeeze of fresh lime and a little ice. Cool, sweet, bitter, sour and oh so refreshing.
Side Note. This formula is also perfect for a fruit smoothie. The sky is the limit. Simply replace the hard stuff with milk or yogurt for added protein.
Oh right – this Mr. Lavender character. He’s my current professor for the finer art of the dining room – part of which details wine and spirits service. And after more than twenty years in the field, let’s just say he knows the difference between a Manhattan and a Rob Roy (Bourbon versus Scotch, by the way). And how to whip up an awesome banana daiquiri. Or a peach one. Or a strawberry-orange. Perhaps I should’ve warned you, Mr. Lavender is a bona fide trouble maker.
- 1 banana, fresh then frozen, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 2 fl oz light rum or Brazilian cachaca (double jigger)
- 1 fl oz lime juice, fresh squeezed (single jigger)
- 2-3 large ice cubes
- 1 strawberry, sliced thin
- 1 orange, sliced thin, then slices cut in quarters
- Blend all ingredients until smooth. Garnish with fresh strawberries, orange wedges or fruit of choice.