I came up with this recipe in honor of World Nutella Day, February 5th. It’s a day for worldwide consumption and appreciation of the nutty, chocolate delight. After much experimenting, I found a way to ensure the ultimate fudgy brownie. Do check out Fluffy Nutella Mousse, too!
The Secret: Covering the pan with foil during baking prevents a crust from forming and keeps the brownies super moist. The creamy Nutella doesn’t hurt either!
- 4.5 ounces unsweetened Baker’s chocolate
- 10 Tbs butter, unsalted
- 3 large eggs
- 2¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbs Nutella, or other chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 13x9x2-inch pan with shortening or non-stick vegetable spray.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring occasionally. Add sugar, stir to combine, and cool for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Pour chocolate mixture into a large bowl, and whisk in egg mixture. Whisk in Nutella.
- Combine flour and salt and stir to combine, then fold into chocolate mixture in several small batches until all of the flour is incorporated. It will be thick and gooey. You might want to enlist a strapping lad to help stir.
- Spread into pan, and bake for 25 minutes. A toothpick or tester should come out clean. Let cool completely in pan on a rack. Store in an air-tight container for up to three days. For fudge-style brownies, cover the pan with foil before baking to prevent a top crust from forming.